Keeping your fleet vehicles in service longer? Some additional preventative maintenance needs to consider to keep them running in top condition.
With automakers struggling to produce new vehicles due to the chip shortage, fleets are keeping their current vehicles in service longer than they would have in the past. While this is a necessity to keep your business going, vehicles that stay on the road longer than expected will have more preventative maintenance needs that you may not be aware of.
Once a vehicle goes beyond the normal cycle, there are required services that you may not have had to worry about in the past. While these services will add to your CPM, they are necessary to keep your drivers rolling and prevent costly catastrophic failures as you extend the life of your fleet. Below is a list of some of the preventative maintenance services that will be needed to keep your fleet on the road and minimize the probability of these failures:
Additional PM services needed:
- Transmission service
- Tune-up (Replace spark plugs and wires)
- Flush fuel injector system (including cleaning/replacement of the MAF sensor)
- Fuel Filter replacement
- Driveline services (Front and Rear differential, transfer case)
- Brake fluid flush (Typically due every 4 to 5 years)
- Coolant flush (Due every 100k miles or 5 years)
In addition to the above PM services, some other wear and tear item replacements that may be needed:
- Additional set of tires
- Front and rear brake pads and rotors
- Battery replacement (Both vehicle and key fobs, if equipped)
- Serpentine belt
While actual mileage intervals for the above items will vary by manufacturer, being aware of these needed services can reduce costly repairs as well as downtime for your drivers. Our Maintenance Team at Union Leasing is always available to answer any questions you may have regarding PM services.